Kendra Scott remembers those lean early days. With family finances stretched thin and a baby on the way, she started her jewelry line with $500, working out of a spare bedroom in her Austin, Texas, home. “Everything was truly up against me,” she recalls.
A dozen years later, Scott leads a multimillion-dollar global business. Her jewelry is worn by celebrities, including Cameron Diaz and Eva Longoria.
But she hasn’t forgotten what it was like to struggle, and she actively supports Dress for Success, helping unemployed women make the transition into working life. She also gives to the Susan G. Komen Foundation and hosts Kendra Gives Back parties at her 10 stores, with a percentage of profits benefiting a particular charity or cause.
“When I started my first business I felt that success to me would be able to do what I love, be a great mother and be able to give back to my community,” says Scott, who has three sons. “Now we live it, we breathe it, and we are engaged with our community.”
Kendra’s 8 Lucky Rules
1. Take “what if” out of your vocabulary, take inventory and learn, and then move into action to live out your dream life!
2. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Those who are not afraid to ask questions or seek a mentor will do amazing things in life.
3. Be nice and appreciative. A simple “thank you” goes a long way. Always be gracious and give recognition to those around you.
4. Surround yourself with great people. You will feel so much happier, and a world of opportunity will arise that you may not have known was out there!
5. Laugh… a lot! Life is too short to not have fun. At Kendra Scott our stores and offices are always filled with joy and laughter. We work hard but we play even harder!
6. See the world. Take time to travel, whether to places near or far.
7. Never EVER give up. Believe in yourself and your dreams, and know that “no” is merely a suggestion.
8. Give back. You always have something to give.