Life’s lessons are a beautiful gift, but they don’t always come wrapped in a shiny, red bow. Sometimes tragedy brings us wisdom. Sometimes joy does. Other times we stumble upon life-changing lessons when we least expect to.
Related: 13 Life Rules to Keep You Motivated
No matter how they come to us, life’s lessons are invaluable and worth cherishing. Use them as a guide to live unapologetically, without limits.
If you’re ready to live your life to the very fullest, these 15 wise quotes are a great place to start.
1. “Close some doors today. Not because of pride, incapacity or arrogance, but simply because they lead you nowhere.”―Paulo Coelho
2. “When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.” ―Maya Angelou
3. “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ―C. S. Lewis
4. “Life is inherently risky. There is only one big risk you should avoid at all costs, and that is the risk of doing nothing.” ―Denis Waitley
5. “You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.” ―Oprah Winfrey
6. “Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.” ―Søren Kierkegaard
7. “In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility.” ―Eleanor Roosevelt
8. “Life is available only in the present. That is why we should walk in such a way that every step can bring us to the here and the now.” ―Thich Nhat Hanh
9. “Be like a tree and let the dead leaves drop.” ―Rumi
10. “Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them―that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” ―Lao Tzu
11. “Life is 10 percent what you make it, and 90 percent how you take it.” ―Irving Berlin
12. “There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.” ―Marshall McLuhan
13. “But one of the big lessons I have learned from my journey is you can’t please everyone, so don’t try.” ―Chris Colfer
14. “Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.” ―Mary Tyler Moore
15. “I made a resolve then that I was going to amount to something if I could. And no hours, nor amount of labor, nor amount of money would deter me from giving the best that there was in me.” ―Harland Sanders
Related: The 3 Most Important Life Lessons I Ever Learned