Being scrappy isn’t just about persistence. For Terri Sjodin, author of Scrappy: The Little Book About Choosing How to Play Big, scrappiness requires initiative, a bit of heart and a willingness to work hard and take risks. Our own scrappy Director of Digital Content Shelby Skrhak sits down with Sjodin to define scrappiness and how to use it to overcome the obstacles in your life. Plus, learn why scrappiness is only the first step. You have to take small, persistent steps toward your long-term goal, especially when you’re feeling discouraged.
- Scrappy—also known as moxie, feistiness, gutsy and spunky—is about having a fighting spirit. Learn why you need it.
- There are three parts to effective scrappiness. It’s not just about being clever; it’s about execution.
- Scrappiness appears when someone has hit a wall. They’re bored, frustrated or done dealing with the status quo.
- Being scrappy doesn’t always require giant movements. Sometimes the smallest steps result in the biggest achievements.
Favorite quote from this episode:
“Small steps forward can lead to a successful outcome long-term. So a scrappy strategy encompasses all of your efforts. It’s research; it’s due diligence; it’s sweat equity. And [scrappiness] helps you to channel all of these things together in the most productive direction.”
You might also like…
- 7 Ways to Persist When Everything in You Wants to Give Up
- Megyn Kelly: ‘Work Harder. Do Better. Stop Whining.’
- 7 Small Changes That Will Make a Big Difference in Your Life
- Stop Making Excuses for Who and Where You Are
SUCCESS Talks, the popular audio program included in every issue of SUCCESS magazine, is now available as a podcast. SUCCESS Talks features fascinating interviews with prominent business, creative and thought leaders such as Tony Robbins, Anne Sweeney, Richard Branson, Tim Ferriss and Barbara Corcoran. SUCCESS Talks focuses on helping the listener nurture and develop their mind, body and spirit. Each month is thematically different and includes key takeaways designed to help you achieve your biggest goals and live your true passion.
Catch up on all episodes at SUCCESS.com/SUCCESSTalks.
SUBSCRIBE on iTunes or your favorite podcatcher app so you don’t miss an episode!