There’s something special about a person who knows—and shows—how unique they are. Whether it’s an eccentric sense of style or a mind full of unusual ideas that challenge the norm, they don’t hold back. You can see their confidence from across the room, and it’s an aura we should all aspire to radiate.
So without caring what other people think, start telling your story the way it was meant to be told. Embrace all your distinctive quirks, and don’t forget that your opinion of yourself is what matters most.
Related: 8 Tips for Being Authentic
These 15 inspiring quotes will help you stay true.
1. “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson
2. “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” —Oscar Wilde
3. “I think the reward for conformity is that everyone likes you except yourself.” —Rita Mae Brown
4. “Where’s your will to be weird?” —Jim Morrison
5. “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.” —Steve Jobs
6. “Your self-worth is determined by you. You don’t have to depend on someone telling you who you are.” —Beyoncé
7. “Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.” —Lao Tzu
8. “Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.” —Bertrand Russell
9. “I think everybody’s weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.” —Johnny Depp
10. “Follow your own star!” —Dante Alighieri
11. “Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.” —Coco Chanel
12. “You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.” —Eleanor Roosevelt
13. “Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing we’ll ever do.” —Brené Brown
14. “Some people say you are going the wrong way, when it’s simply a way of your own.” —Angelina Jolie
15. “Find out who you are and do it on purpose.” —Dolly Parton
Related: Are You an Original?