The importance of personal development can’t be overstated. It’s the secret to separating yourself from the pack, the bridge that carries you toward the goals you have yet to reach.
We spend a ton of time investing in things that numb us to the reality of how short life is―things like scrolling the internet for hours on end or watching TV to the point of restlessness. Entertainment is fun, but how much time do we save for ourselves? How often do we set aside dedicated time for personal development, where we are learning and growing in a way that defines our existence?
To be well rounded, find some time to invest in yourself. These 15 motivating quotes are a great way to start thinking about who you want to become.
1. “Income seldom exceeds personal development.” ―Jim Rohn
2. “Every moment of one’s existence, one is growing into more or retreating into less.” ―Norman Mailer
3. “You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.” ―Henry David Thoreau
4. “Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead.” ―Morihei Ueshiba
5. “Personal development is a major time-saver. The better you become, the less time it takes you to achieve your goals.” ―Brian Tracy
6. “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.” ―Ralph Waldo Emerson
7. “Man’s life is independent. He is born not for the development of the society alone, but for the development of his self.” ―B. R. Ambedkar
8. “Change equals self-improvement. Push yourself to places you haven’t been before.” ―Pat Summitt
9. “There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” ―Ernest Hemingway
10. “Growth is the great separator between those who succeed and those who do not. When I see a person beginning to separate themselves from the pack, it’s almost always due to personal growth.” ―John C. Maxwell
11. “Personal development is the belief that you are worth the effort, time and energy needed to develop yourself.” ―Denis Waitley
12. “Be patient with yourself. Self-growth is tender; it’s holy ground. There’s no greater investment.” ―Stephen Covey
13. “One can choose to go back toward safety or forward toward growth. Growth must be chosen again and again; fear must be overcome again and again.” ―Abraham Maslow
14. “Investing in yourself is the best investment you will ever make. It will not only improve your life, it will improve the lives of all those around you.” ―Robin Sharma
15. “In this world you’re either growing or you’re dying, so get in motion and grow.” ―Lou Holtz
Related: The 3 Parts of Personal Development