This episode is sponsored by altMBA.
What does it mean to be authentic? Karissa Thacker, author of the The Art of Authenticity, says it’s not as black-and-white as you think. A famous painting is either real or not. A human being has at least three selves: our ideal self, our best self and our real self. SUCCESS.com’s Shelby Skrhak and Thacker get real about authenticity in this increasingly complicated digital world, with all of its nuanced definitions of identity.
SUBSCRIBE on iTunes, Stitcher or your favorite podcatcher app so you don’t miss an episode!
- Our three selves are affected by our ever-changing circumstances. Part of authenticity, Thacker says, is understanding and accepting that fact. It allows us to show a little compassion to ourselves and others.
- Entrepreneurship requires a specific version of authenticity, of stepping outside of your “story” to see, understand and solve a complex problem.
- Learn how to break down the facets of your three different selves and how they come into play in your personal and professional lives.
Favorite quote from this episode:
“All three of those selves are part of becoming authentic. The most important thing to be aware of is there’s choice. There’s choice in who you are in every given moment, and there’s choice in who you become over time.”
You might also like…
- 8 Tips for Being Authentic
- To Be Successful, Focus on Your Personal Growth
- 3 Action Steps for an Honest Self-Assessment
- How I Learned to Love the Real Me
- Thanks to altMBA for sponsoring SUCCESS Talks. altMBA is now accepting applications. To find out more, visit altmba.com/successtalks. For special consideration, mention this podcast in your application and tell them SUCCESS sent you!
SUCCESS Talks, the popular audio program included every month in SUCCESS magazine, is now available as a weekly podcast. We feature fascinating interviews with prominent business, creative and thought leaders such as Tony Robbins, Richard Branson, Tim Ferriss and Barbara Corcoran, and include key takeaways designed to help you put information into action.
Catch up on all individual episodes at SUCCESS.com/SUCCESSTalks or download the monthly SUCCESS Talks Collection with your magazine subscription.