Before you can achieve anything in life, you have to know what you want. You have to decide that whatever you’re doing is important to you, that it’s worth it. And if it isn’t, it’s time to set new, more meaningful goals.
If you’re passionate about it, about really living out your purpose, you’ll be more likely to commit—to buckle down and set powerful goals. So focus on what you really want to accomplish, and it will make the journey that much sweeter.
Need a push to get started? Find the motivation with these 18 insightful quotes about goal setting.
Goal-setting quotes to motivate you
1. “If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy and inspires your hopes.”
2. “All who have accomplished great things have had a great aim, have fixed their gaze on a goal which was high, one which sometimes seemed impossible.”
—Orison Swett Marden
3. “Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success.”
4. “Success is the progressive realization of a worthy goal or ideal.”
5. “You have to set goals that are almost out of reach. If you set a goal that is attainable without much work or thought, you are stuck with something below your true talent and potential.”
6. “By recording your dreams and goals on paper, you set in motion the process of becoming the person you most want to be. Put your future in good hands—your own.”
—Mark Victor Hansen
Quotes about setting goals to help you find your way
1. “The trouble with not having a goal is that you can spend your life running up and down the field and never score.”
2. “One way to keep momentum going is to have constantly greater goals.”
3. “All successful people have a goal. No one can get anywhere unless he knows where he wants to go and what he wants to be or do.”
4. “Goals. There’s no telling what you can do when you get inspired by them. There’s no telling what you can do when you believe in them. And there’s no telling what will happen when you act upon them.”
5. “A goal properly set is halfway reached.”
6. “If you set goals and go after them with all the determination you can muster, your gifts will take you places that will amaze you.”
Quotes to put things in perspective
1. “I think goals should never be easy, they should force you to work, even if they are uncomfortable at the time.”
2. “You can do anything if you set goals. You just have to push yourself.”
3. “It’s important to set your own goals and work hard to achieve them.”
4. “You should set goals beyond your reach so you always have something to live for.”
5. “It must be borne in mind that the tragedy of life doesn’t lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goals to reach.”
—Benjamin E. Mays
6. “The thing about goals is that living without them is a lot more fun, in the short run. It seems to me, though, that the people who get things done, who lead, who grow and who make an impact… those people have goals.”
Have you tried setting goals, only to fall short of achieving them? The Win the Day Accelerator with James Whittaker is designed to help you transform your mindset, develop a personalized plan that guides you toward your goals and help you create a life driven by your passions. Learn more and enroll today!
This article was updated December 2023. Photo by Max kegfire/Shutterstock