Start Small Win Big 2012: Your Wk 9 Action Plan

Your Week 9 Action Plan

For Week 9 (March 19), read the April 2012 issue for Step 9: Ramp Up Social Media Activity. Then check your inbox for the March 19 Start Small Win Big newsletter.

This week’s assignment is about social media for your small business. Take a look at your social media efforts and evaluate whether you are following a 80/20 rule–80 percent of your time and effort should be spent helping others and being a valuable content contributor within your industry. The remaining 20 percent may be spent promoting yourself, your products or your business.

It’s time to audit your recent social media activity:

Categorize the last 5 activities you’ve done on Facebook (liking, posting, commenting). Here, we’ve used SUCCESS magazine’s Facebook as an example. It might look something like this.

1. Thursday, March 15 9am: Motivational quote

2. March 15 12:45pm: Ides of March reference, with link to SUCCESS magazine article

3. March 15 4:20pm: Motivational quote

4. March 15 10pm: Promotion of Start Small Win Big contest and prize giveaways

5. March 16 9am: Motivational quote


Now, do the same for Twitter and categorize the last five activities you’ve done (posting, retweeting, replying).

After you’ve completed this exercise, ask yourself, are my Twitter and Facebook updates informative for others or purely self-marketing? Just remember to strike a balance and practice moderation–whether its in the content you post, the time you spend on social media or the slice(s) of cheesecake you devour.

Complete your social media audit below and share with the SUCCESS community.



Tory Johnson is CEO and founder of Spark & Hustle, a weekly contributor on ABC's Good Morning America and a contributing editor of SUCCESS magazine.

Leave a Comment