When you look deep within yourself, do you see peace or internal conflict?
Finding inner peace, achieving peace of mind, is a major life accomplishment—and even though it can be hard to feel peaceful, anyone can work toward a life of harmony, to seek a calm spirit.
Related: Secrets for a Happy Brain
Give yourself the inner peace you deserve with inspiration from these 17 comforting quotes.
1. “Love and peace of mind do protect us. They allow us to overcome the problems that life hands us. They teach us to survive… to live now… to have the courage to confront each day.” —Bernie Siegel
2. “You’ll never find peace of mind until you listen to your heart.” —George Michael
3. “Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.” —Dalai Lama
4. “Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be.” —Wayne W. Dyer
5. “You find peace not by rearranging the circumstances of your life, but by realizing who you are at the deepest level.” —Eckhart Tolle
6. “Peace is a daily, a weekly, a monthly process, gradually changing opinions, slowly eroding old barriers, quietly building new structures.” —John F. Kennedy
7. “If there’s no inner peace, people can’t give it to you. The husband can’t give it to you. Your children can’t give it to you. You have to give it to you.” —Linda Evans
8. “Peace is a day-to-day problem, the product of a multitude of events and judgments. Peace is not an ‘is,’ it is a ‘becoming.’ ” —Haile Selassie
9. “It isn’t enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And it isn’t enough to believe in it. One must work at it.” —Eleanor Roosevelt
10. “Nobody can bring you peace but yourself.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson
11. “Peace is liberty in tranquility.” —Marcus Tullius Cicero
12. “Peace is its own reward.” —Mahatma Gandhi
13. “The life of inner peace, being harmonious and without stress, is the easiest type of existence.” —Norman Vincent Peale
14. “Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset.” —Saint Francis de Sales
15. “If you cannot find peace within yourself, you will never find it anywhere else.” —Marvin Gaye
16. “We don’t realize that, somewhere within us all, there does exist a supreme self who is eternally at peace.” —Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love
17. “Peace is always beautiful.” —Walt Whitman
Related: 19 Calming Quotes to Help You Stress Less
Lydia Sweatt is a freelance writer, bookworm, and bass guitar enthusiast. When she goes outside, a bicycle goes with her.