This week we follow up our “Art of Manliness” episode with a touch of female power. Shelby chats with Shelley Zalis, founder of Girl’s Lounge, about something called FQ, the female quotient. And we take a look at gender equality and whether or not women need to act more like a man to succeed at work.
- Zalis shares a few tips for women who want to show up and be heard at their meetings:
- When you have something to say, say it. Five minutes later could be too late.
- When your inner voice shoots down an idea, find the strength to share it anyway.
- Don’t worry about coming off as bossy―think of it as asserting yourself.
- Support the ideas of other women, too.
- Plus, she speaks on the power of equality in a unique way: “Equality is not just a social issue, it’s an economic issue…. When you create equality in the workplace, we can bring over $2 trillion extra dollars of revenue to the GDP. And women are 80 percent of the buyers today. So if women are making money, the economy will fly.”
Thanks for all your feedback on our decision to change the intro! Keep sending your thoughts to email@example.com.
Favorite quote from this episode:
“We talk about diversity being good for business, so why are we going backwards? Why is equality going backwards in corporations if diversity is good for business? Women bring creativity, innovation, a collaborative spirit, nurturing, empathy to the table. And those are really necessary ingredients.”
You might also like:
- Should a Woman Act More Like a Man to Succeed at Work?
- Why Women Struggle With Confidence More Than Men
- This Is Why Women Don’t Get Ahead
- ShipStation is offering a free 30-day trial for our listeners. And with promo code INSIDER, you can get an additional month for free. Go to ShipStation.com and click the microphone at the top to enter the code.
- Thanks to altMBA for sponsoring SUCCESS Insider. altMBA is now accepting applications. To find out more, visit altmba.com/successinsider. For special consideration, mention this podcast in your application and tell them SUCCESS sent you!
SUCCESS Insider is a weekly podcast to engage, educate and inspire emerging leaders and success seekers.
Every week, SUCCESS.com’s Shelby Skrhak and SUCCESS magazine’s Josh Ellis will discuss the latest trends in personal empowerment, entrepreneurship and career development. We’ll dig into books, ideas and news you’ll want to know about. We’ll chat with special guests, including authors, industry experts, business leaders, trendsetters on our staff and other all-around successful people. And we’ll have a lot of fun doing it. Join us!