Josh and Shelby discuss how attending different types of conferences and networking events can heighten your personal and business growth, and Shelby shares her favorite stories from South by Southwest over the years. Then we hear from Jaclyn Johnson, founder of Create & Cultivate, on how to learn from others at networking events. Last, Josh and Shelby recap the recent SUCCESS Live event and share a few basic tips for getting ready to speak in front of a crowd, should you ever have the opportunity.
- Johnson shares some simple questions to start a conversation at any networking conference, such as:
- Where are you from?
- Why are you here?
- What are you looking forward to?
- Next up, she recommends talking to partners or conference sponsors to create a huge networking moment.
- To make the most of any event, she shares three more tips:
- Prepare in advance by following the event’s social media page.
- Get an event schedule and plan your day. Prioritize the things you really want to do.
- Take notes, check out the booths and attend the panels.
- Josh and Shelby share four tips for speaking at a conference:
- Don’t let technical difficulties derail your presentation. If appropriate, lighten things up with a joke.
- Don’t read the presentation slides to your audience.
- To get rid of your nerves, fill your speech with inspirational words.
- Be mindful of repeating filler words, like “um” and “uh.”
- Josh and Shelby recap the recent SUCCESS Live event. Find out how to attend the next event on Sept. 8-9 in Los Angeles by clicking here.
Favorite quote from this episode:
“It just goes to show how awesome these events are… in that it allows you to be up close and personal with people who are doing such amazing things, people that you can learn from. For anyone interested in personal growth like we are, you have to be open to getting out there and attending live events like this.”
You might also like…
- Networking 101
- Networking 202
- Introverted? Use These Tips to Rock Networking
- The 7 Types of People You Meet at Networking Events
- FreshBooks is offering a 30-day, unrestricted free trial to our listeners. To claim it, just go to FreshBooks.com/insider and enter Success Insider in the “How Did You Hear About Us?” section.
- Thanks to Slack for supporting SUCCESS Insider. Slack: Where work happens. Find out why at Slack.com.
- Thanks to altMBA for sponsoring SUCCESS Insider. altMBA is now accepting applications. To find out more, visit altmba.com/successinsider. For special consideration, mention this podcast in your application and tell them SUCCESS sent you!
Every week, SUCCESS.com’s Shelby Skrhak and SUCCESS magazine’s Josh Ellis will discuss the latest trends in personal empowerment, entrepreneurship and career development. We’ll dig into books, ideas and news you’ll want to know about. We’ll chat with special guests, including authors, industry experts, business leaders, trendsetters on our staff and other all-around successful people. And we’ll have a lot of fun doing it. Join us!