This week’s episode is sponsored by FreshBooks. John Addison, Leadership Editor for SUCCESS, joins Josh and Shelby as a co-host on this week’s episode for some “real talk.” They discuss the new release of his book Real Leadership, how the YouEconomy is molding the future of business, and why even when you are hustling it’s important to slow down and take a break.
Being real can make you stand out, but it also requires a certain vulnerability. Addison weighs in on how to be authentic:
- Remember that everyone makes mistakes (even you).
- Take responsibility for your actions.
- Commit to doing better in the future.
- Embrace self-actualization—start building on your talents.
Addison shares what it’s like to go from CEO to leadership expert, and how emotions like fear, loneliness and insecurity shaped the experience. Here’s how he handled the career shift:
- No matter what, face your feelings.
- Just jump in—get a routine and get going.
- The more you do it, the better it gets.
Joining the YouEconomy means having the freedom to design your day, but it’s still a lot of work. Addison highlights the importance of motivation and where he finds it: “I am more motivated by the fear of failure than I am the desire for success. I talk about it in my book…. I want to do good and make the people I care about proud of me. That is the number one driver.”
Favorite quote from this episode:
“Most of winning is done privately, in the dark almost, when no one’s watching—and you better have that inner motivation, or I promise ya, you’ll quit.”
You might also like:
- Make Your Success About Shining Your Light on the People Around You, Not Yourself
- 5 Things Strong Leaders Do
- What to Do When You Fail
- 4 Ways to Quiet the Emotional Enemies in Your Mind
- FreshBooks is offering a 30 day, unrestricted free trial to our listeners. To claim it, just go to FreshBooks.com/insider and enter Success Insider in the “How Did You Hear About Us?” section.
Every week, SUCCESS.com’s Shelby Skrhak and SUCCESS magazine’s Josh Ellis will discuss the latest trends in personal empowerment, entrepreneurship and career development. We’ll dig into books, ideas and news you’ll want to know about. We’ll chat with special guests, including authors, industry experts, business leaders, trendsetters on our staff and other all-around successful people. And we’ll have a lot of fun doing it. Join us!