Ep. 57: Lewis Howes on What Makes a Leader Stand Out
Leadership. It’s a common theme in the pages of SUCCESS and on this podcast. What makes a great leader? How can an emerging generation of young leaders who are living different paths to success from past generations lead effectively? Josh and Shelby explore these topics with author and fellow podcaster Lewis Howes on today’s episode. Plus, they share some timeless wisdom from Brian Tracy on the six qualities of a charismatic leader to compare how these traits apply to a new generation of leaders.
Howes shares a trait all emerging leaders have in common: “They understand the importance of giving back. The leaders I’m talking about [are] most millennials. People think that they’re very selfish and that they don’t have an understanding of giving back… but [these] leaders really stand out…. They’re not only focused on their needs, they’re focused on ‘we’ as opposed to ‘me.’”
- Howes has interviewed some very successful entrepreneurs, like skateboarder Rob Dyrdek, on The School of Greatness podcast. He shares a few of his interviewees’ keys to success:
- Clarity: having the exact vision of what you want to achieve
- A champion mindset: believing in yourself and your dream
- And self-driven purpose: a key that Howes personally defined for himself. As an athlete who knows how it feels to achieve something and feel empty moments afterward, he now does things because he wants to―and not just to prove others wrong.
- Lastly, Josh and Shelby share more traits of successful leaders, straight from SUCCESS.com. In the article “6 Qualities of a Charismatic Leader,” Brian Tracy describes the type of leaders who accept themselves and earn the respect of those around them. Read more about those traits right here.
More tools for success:
- Join us for SUCCESS Live, a one-of-a-kind event that focuses on achieving massive success. On April 21, you’ll hear from high-caliber speakers like Howes, Tom Bilyeu and Mel Robbins about how to achieve more. Get your tickets here.
Favorite quote from this episode:
“The key to happiness is really progress and growth and constantly working on yourself and developing something. It’s when we stop growing [that] things start to get frustrating.”
You might also like…
- 6 Qualities of a Charismatic Leader
- Lewis Howes Gets Real With 4 Tips to Do What You Love Full Time
- Announcing SUCCESS Live: How You Can Spend a Day With SUCCESS
SUCCESS Insider is a weekly podcast to engage, educate and inspire emerging leaders and success seekers.
Every week, SUCCESS.com’s Shelby Skrhak and SUCCESS magazine’s Josh Ellis will discuss the latest trends in personal empowerment, entrepreneurship and career development. We’ll dig into books, ideas and news you’ll want to know about. We’ll chat with special guests, including authors, industry experts, business leaders, trendsetters on our staff and other all-around successful people. And we’ll have a lot of fun doing it. Join us!
Find complete SUCCESS Insider archives at SUCCESS.com/successinsider.
Find more SUCCESS podcasts at SUCCESS.com/podcasts.