Ep. 56: Generosity Can Extend Your Life
On this week’s episode, we explore the power of giving. More and more companies are doing their part and giving back to society. Josh and Shelby share a few of these companies and discuss conscious consumerism―how the way purchasing something you were already going to buy anyway can make a difference. Plus, we give you seven science-based reasons why generosity is not just good for your soul but also for your health.
- Josh and Shelby discuss companies that are making a difference by leaving the world in better shape than they found it. Here are a few practicing the one-to-one business model of donating the same products consumers purchase for themselves:
- TOMS (footwear)
- Warby Parker (eyewear)
- Love Your Melon (hats and apparel)
- Humble Brush (toothbrushes)
- Pacha Soap (hygiene)
- FEED (fighting hunger)
- Roma Boots (footwear)
- Jonas Umbrellas (rain protection)
- This Bar Saves Lives (nutrition bar)
- Gives (flavored water)
- LSTN Sound (speakers, headphones, etc.)
- Bogo Bowl (pet food)
- Figs (health care uniforms)
- Social psychologist Liz Dunn found that not being generous (or just extremely stingy) can actually stress you out. Her study showed that the shame of keeping money for oneself resulted in higher levels of cortisol, the stress hormone. Here’s how generosity can stop this from happening:
- It increases your happiness at work.
- It provides a lower risk of early death.
- It gives a strong sense of community.
- It results in improved relationships.
Favorite quote from this episode:
“Remember, we can all make a difference, one small step or product at a time.”
You might also like…
- The Right Way to Be Generous
- True Success Begins the Second You Start Giving Back
- Try These 30 Random Acts of Kindness to Brighten Someone’s Day
SUCCESS Insider is a weekly podcast to engage, educate and inspire emerging leaders and success seekers.
Every week, SUCCESS.com’s Shelby Skrhak and SUCCESS magazine’s Josh Ellis will discuss the latest trends in personal empowerment, entrepreneurship and career development. We’ll dig into books, ideas and news you’ll want to know about. We’ll chat with special guests, including authors, industry experts, business leaders, trendsetters on our staff and other all-around successful people. And we’ll have a lot of fun doing it. Join us!
Find complete SUCCESS Insider archives at SUCCESS.com/successinsider.
Find more SUCCESS podcasts at SUCCESS.com/podcasts.