Ep. 54: How to Be Tough Like Jocko Willink
Do you act tough or are you actually tough? We explore that topic in the pages of this month’s issue of SUCCESS magazine and on this episode of SUCCESS Insider. SUCCESS Editor at Large Michael Mooney visits the studio to talk about the time he spent with our cover guy, the super tough former Navy SEAL turned leadership expert, author and podcaster Jocko Willink. Plus, we share 10 exercises you can do to build your mental toughness, starting today.
- Michael Mooney shares some insider details about his interview with Jocko. Here are a couple things you might not know about him:
- He starts his day at 4:30 a.m. every morning, which gives him the momentum to get things done.
- Jocko does personal development with a twist: “He is a firm believer that discipline equals freedom… and by that he means that the more disciplined you are, the more freedom you have in the long run,” Mooney says. “If you work out all the time, if you eat right all the time, you have the ability to snack more frequently than somebody who really needs to be watching their diet and isn’t disciplined. If you’re more disciplined with money, you have more freedom financially. It’s kind of one of the many paradoxes that make up his existence.”
- Josh and Shelby also share some exercises to build mental toughness:
- Set goals.
- Set yourself up for success.
- Tolerate discomfort for a greater purpose.
- Reframe your negative thoughts.
- Balance your emotions with logic.
- Strive to fulfill your purpose.
- Look for explanations, not excuses.
- Do one hard thing every day. Purposely challenge yourself.
- Use the 10-minute rule to start doing something you don’t enjoy. After 10 minutes, you have permission to quit… or keep going.
- Your mind will want to quit, but prove yourself wrong.
- A listener shares his story of perseverance. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to share yours, too.
Favorite quote from this episode:
“[Jocko Willink] really thinks of himself as just an average guy who doesn’t quit, who really does stay disciplined and follows these kind of guidelines to life. I think that his ability to follow those guidelines the way he has makes him pretty extraordinary.”
You might also like…
- The Jocko Willink Way
- Video: Jocko Willink’s SUCCESS Cover Shoot
- Jocko Willink on Forward Progress Through Discipline
SUCCESS Insider is a weekly podcast to engage, educate and inspire emerging leaders and success seekers.
Every week, SUCCESS.com’s Shelby Skrhak and SUCCESS magazine’s Josh Ellis will discuss the latest trends in personal empowerment, entrepreneurship and career development. We’ll dig into books, ideas and news you’ll want to know about. We’ll chat with special guests, including authors, industry experts, business leaders, trendsetters on our staff and other all-around successful people. And we’ll have a lot of fun doing it. Join us!
Find complete SUCCESS Insider archives at SUCCESS.com/successinsider.
Find more SUCCESS podcasts at SUCCESS.com/podcasts.