Ep. 49: Quote or Gibberish? You Be the Judge
Hang in there baby. This week we are exploring the power of motivational quotes. Josh and Shelby share some of the most popular quotes out there, plus give their two cents as to why they are so popular. We discuss a study about “pseudo-profound” motivational quotes. Plus we have a little fun quizzing ourselves as to whether or not we can tell the difference between a real quote and a fake one.
- Shelby gives her definition of what a quote really is: a profound statement that has some level of recognition, and attributed to someone notable.
- Josh ranks the profoundness of some motivational quotes, such as “Hidden meaning transforms unparalleled abstract beauty.” On a scale of 1 being the least profound and 5 being the most, he gave it a 1.
- Josh searches for the meaning in a set of quotes. Some are glittery phrases meant to impress, while others are authentic nuggets of inspiration that can help you succeed.
- Josh and Shelby share some of their favorite quotes:
- “Success is simple. Do what’s right, the right way, at the right time.” —Arnold Glasgow
- “What’s money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.” —Bob Dylan
- “I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed.” —Michael Jordan
- Want to contribute to the show? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your favorite motivational quotes, and Shelby and Josh will share them on the podcast.
Favorite Quote From This Episode:
“People that ranked these nonsense sentences as profound, they were ‘more likely to believe in conspiracy theories, religion, the supernatural and alternative medicine.’ They say that BS quotes try to impress rather than to inform, to be engaging rather than instructive. And some people are just more receptive to these pseudo-profound motivational quotes.”
You Might Also Like:
- 25 Quotes About Success
- 21 of the Most Inspirational Quotes
- 17 Motivational Quotes to Inspire You to Be Successful
SUCCESS Insider is a weekly podcast to engage, educate and inspire emerging leaders and success seekers.
Every week, SUCCESS.com’s Shelby Skrhak and SUCCESS magazine’s Josh Ellis will discuss the latest trends in personal empowerment, entrepreneurship and career development. We’ll dig into books, ideas and news you’ll want to know about. We’ll chat with special guests, including authors, industry experts, business leaders, trendsetters on our staff and other all-around successful people. And we’ll have a lot of fun doing it. Join us!
Find complete SUCCESS Insider archives at SUCCESS.com/successinsider.
Find more SUCCESS podcasts at SUCCESS.com/podcasts.