Winston Churchill once said, “Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” Listen this week as October 2016 SUCCESS magazine cover gal Sophia Amoruso, founder of the hip retail enterprise Nasty Gal, explains how she lives each day in a courageous way. “People are always looking at you, ‘Are they doing the job that we think they’re supposed to be doing?’ At the end of the day, nobody has all the information that you do to make the decisions that you’re making,” Amoruso says.
When you’re in a leadership position and under the microscope, Amoruso says it takes courage to ignore the naysayers. “That’s the unfortunate and very lonely position of a leader and that can eat you alive, or you can say, ‘If I listen to everyone else there’s no way I’ll ever win, so I’m just going to do my very best.’”
Shelby shares the Toni Morrison story “I Stood My Ground,” about summoning courage when fear is in your head, and Josh shares his own story of courageousness. They offer 3 tips for living boldly, plus author and expert Margie Warrell explains how exercising courage makes you stronger.
- Courage comes in many forms. Hear the various shapes and forms courage can appear in your life.
- Nasty Gal founder Amoruso writes in her book #GirlBoss, “Be who you want. Do what you want.” But she warns in entrepreneurship, remember what your customers want too.
- Even Amoruso feels “sheepish” at times. Here’s why her secret to confidence is more humble than you think.
- Why sharing your authentic self—good, bad, scared or courageous—helps people in ways you wouldn’t expect.
- Shelby and Josh give 3 tips to find your inner courage.
- Margie Warrell issues you this challenge to be brave: “Just for today, don’t let fear of making a wrong decision keep you from making a right one.”
Favorite quote from this episode:
“I think everyone wants to be normal and I think we all are actually our own kind of weird. That’s what actually is normal.”
You might also like:
- #GIRLBOSS Sophia Amoruso Is the Most Successful Misfit You Know
- Courage: It’s the Secret to Getting Everything You Want in Life
- 4 Risks You Need to Take to Find Your Courage