On Sept. 11, 2001, America was forever changed. It has been 15 years since two planes struck the World Trade Center in New York City, but that tragic day, which served as a true test of the American spirit, will be remembered always.
So today we observe Patriot Day and all that it represents—we honor the value of life, our country’s resilience and the strength of the American spirit. In remembrance of 9/11, here are 13 to quotes to honor our country’s patriotism.
Related: Finding Hope in Tragedy
1. “The attacks of September 11th were intended to break our spirit. Instead we have emerged stronger and more unified. We feel renewed devotion to the principles of political, economic and religious freedom, the rule of law and respect for human life. We are more determined than ever to live our lives in freedom.” —Rudy Giuliani
2. “If we learn nothing else from this tragedy, we learn that life is short and there is no time for hate.” —Sandy Dahl, wife of Flight 93 pilot Jason Dahl
3. “Even the smallest act of service, the simplest act of kindness, is a way to honor those we lost, a way to reclaim that spirit of unity that followed 9/11.” —President Barack Obama
4. “You can be sure that the American spirit will prevail over this tragedy.” —Colin Powell
5. “For me and my family personally, September 11 was a reminder that life is fleeting, impermanent, and uncertain. Therefore, we must make use of every moment and nurture it with affection, tenderness, beauty, creativity, and laughter.” —Deepak Chopra
6. “True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” —Clarence Darrow
7. “Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children.” —former President George W. Bush
8. “What separates us from the animals, what separates us from the chaos, is our ability to mourn people we’ve never met.” —David Levithan, Love is the Higher Law
9. “September 11, 2001, revealed heroism in ordinary people who might have gone through their lives never called upon to demonstrate the extent of their courage.” —Geraldine Brooks
10. “We will win this struggle—not for glory, nor wealth, nor power, but for justice, for freedom, and for peace… so help us God.” —Tom Harkin
11. “Remember the hours after Sept. 11 when we came together as one! It was the worst day we have ever seen, but it brought out the best in all of us.” —Secretary of State John Kerry
12. “America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand.” —former President Harry S. Truman
13. “Americans never quit.” —Douglas MacArthur