Personal development sounds fantastic, in theory. So does waking up early, reading a book every week or eating healthy. But until you actually take the first step to do those things—wake up as soon as the alarm goes off, read the first chapter, or choose the salad over the burger—the gap between knowing what you should do and actually doing them only gets wider.
Do you want to know the secret to accomplishing all your best-laid plans, and more? Just start. Every time you turn off the TV and start reading a few pages of a personal development book, you take a small action to improve yourself, and that moves you one step closer to accomplishing your goals. The slight edge, the compound effect, whatever you want to call it—these small steps are how self-improvement really happens.
Here are 12 quotes that’ll motivate you to work on yourself and improve your life, one small action at a time.
1. “If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always be where you’ve always been.” —T.D. Jakes
2. “You’ve got to have rules to live by, and one of mine is always say yes. Put yourself in danger of something amazing happening to you.” —Tom Bilyeu
3. “The health of your brain is much more about your actions than your age.” —Dr. Daniel Amen
4. “You’re either green and growing or you’re ripe and rotting.” —John Addison
6. “Growth is actually contagious, so if you want to reach your goals, you’ve got to get around people who are going in the same direction you want to be going, and you will catch the success.” —Dr. Henry Cloud