We are so often hit with negativity—negative news, negative perspectives—from pessimistic people that it might seem next to impossible to continue on with a positive spirit. Instead of getting stuck in the negativity, turn to those habitually optimistic people who have figured out how to see the brighter side of life and remain positive no matter what… so you can learn to do the same.
Here are 15 quotes about positivity from well-known people who have faced failure and success, who despite certain odds and challenges stayed positive. Use their words to get you going on your own good vibes:
1. “Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow.” — Helen Keller
2. “Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you’ll start having positive results.” — Willie Nelson
3. “Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.” — Lyndon B. Johnson
4. “In order to carry a positive action we must develop here a positive vision.” — Dalai Lama
5. “I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.” — Walt Disney
6. “Positive thinking will let you do everything better than negative thinking will.” — Zig Ziglar
7. “Pessimism leads to weakness, optimism to power.” — William James
8. “You can’t make positive choices for the rest of your life without an environment that makes those choices easy, natural, and enjoyable.” — Deepak Chopra
9. “The thing that lies at the foundation of positive change, the way I see it, is service to a fellow human being.” — Lee lacocca
10. “Positive thinking is more than just a tagline. It changes the way we behave. And I firmly believe that when I am positive, it not only makes me better, but it also makes those around me better.” — Harvey Mackay
11. “In every day, there are 1,440 minutes. That means we have 1,440 daily opportunities to make a positive impact.” — Les Brown
12. “I’m a very positive thinker, and I think that is what helps me the most in difficult moments.” — Roger Federer
13. “Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.” — Colin Powell
14. “Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.” — Winston Churchill
15. “Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn’t learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn’t learn a little, at least we didn’t get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn’t die; so let us all be thankful.” — Buddha
This article was originally published in November 2015 and has been updated.
Photo by meganmeza/Twenty20
John Rampton is an entrepreneur, investor, online marketing guru and startup enthusiast. He is founder of the online invoicing company Due. John is best known as an entrepreneur and connector. He was recently named #3 on Top 50 Online Influencers in the World by Entrepreneur magazine and has been one of the Top 10 Most Influential PPC Experts in the World for the past three years. He currently advises several companies in the San Francisco Bay area.