Ep. 12: How to Learn Something New
Research suggests it takes at least 10,000 hours to develop and master a new skill. But who has that kind of time? Listen in as Josh and Shelby talk with one SUCCESS staffer challenged to become a self-taught chef—and it didn’t take 10,000 hours. Plus we share a few principles that can be your guide to self-improvement.
- SUCCESS managing editor Jesus Jimenez takes control of his life, learns about himself—and masters a few new recipes in the process.
- Hear what his co-workers thought about his “last supper.” Plus, why Josh really, really dislikes meatloaf.
- What does learning a new skill mean? How do you move from goal-setting to goal-achieving? It starts with seeing opportunity.
- Josh remembers the smartest person in his childhood class and what she did to stay that way.
Favorite quote from this episode:
“It’s probably cliché, but breaking bread together is a great opportunity to just bond with somebody. Especially when you do it with love and for people you care about.”
You might also like:
- How I Grew by Learning How to Cook
- The 10,000-Hour Theory: Does Practice Make Perfect?
- 10 Steps to Serious Goal-Getting
SUCCESS Insider is a weekly podcast to engage, educate and inspire emerging leaders and success seekers.
Every week, SUCCESS.com’s Shelby Skrhak and SUCCESS magazine’s Josh Ellis will discuss the latest trends in personal empowerment, entrepreneurship and career development. We’ll dig into books, ideas and news you’ll want to know about. We’ll chat with special guests, including authors, industry experts, business leaders, trendsetters on our staff and other all-around successful people. And we’ll have a lot of fun doing it. Join us!
Catch up on all episodes at SUCCESS.com/podcasts.