Most people have experienced a state of flow at least once—that wonderfully productive feeling of being “in the zone” where time seems to pass without measure. But how can you put yourself in a state of flow on command rather than by chance? That’s exactly what Steven Kotler, best-selling author, award-winning journalist, and co-founder and director of research for the Flow Genome Project, writes about in his latest book, Stealing Fire. In this science-packed interview with SUCCESS Editor-in-Chief Josh Ellis, Kotler uncovers what keeps us from entering flow and the 20 known triggers that can lead to a state of flow.
SUBSCRIBE on iTunes, Stitcher or your favorite podcatcher app so you don’t miss an episode!
- Learn the secrets of entering a state of flow and how you can trigger it yourself.
- Flow triggers a sense ecstatis that Kotler termed STER, which is a four-part effect:
- Sense of self disappears.
- Richness of information.
- Mindfulness is one of the top ways to achieve flow. That’s why 44 percent of all American companies are going to roll out mindfulness-based programs this year. Do you have a mindfulness practice?
Favorite quote from this episode:
“A flow state is an optimal state of consciousness. It’s where we perform our best and we feel our best. It’s those “in the zone” moments of kind of total absorption and wrapped attention where we get so focused on everything that we’re doing, everything else just tends to disappear and all aspects of performance go through the roof.”
You might also like…
- 6 Ways to Find Pure, Uninterrupted Flow
- 8 Ways to Be More Mindful at Work
- Why Mindfulness Is the Ultimate Habit for Success
- To Succeed Under Pressure, Focus on the Experience
SUCCESS Talks, the popular audio program included every month in SUCCESS magazine, is now available as a weekly podcast. We feature fascinating interviews with prominent business, creative and thought leaders such as Tony Robbins, Richard Branson, Tim Ferriss and Barbara Corcoran, and include key takeaways designed to help you put information into action.
Catch up on all individual episodes at SUCCESS.com/SUCCESSTalks or download the monthly SUCCESS Talks Collection with your magazine subscription.