The founder of Spanx, Sara Blakely didn’t know the first thing about the pantyhose industry (or business for that matter) when she launched her company. She had only one source to operate from: her gut, fueled by years of personal development. Blakely believed her invention would help millions of women, and she was right. Her passion and dedication has made her a billionaire. That same passion, along with an added touch of spunk comes through in this interview with former SUCCESS Publisher Darren Hardy.
This interview appears on the SUCCESS Talks Collection January 2016 edition.
- Why Sara Blakely calls cold calling the “most unbelievable life experience”
- Why her dad reframed her view of failure by asking at the dinner table every night, “What’d you guys fail at this week?”
- Why a 16-year-old Sara listened to “How to Be a No Limit Person” and how it shaped her life
- “Wayne Dyer cassette tapes were always in my car. My friends would joke not to end up in my car or ‘She’s gonna make you listen to all that motivational stuff.'”
- Blakely uses this tip to snap out of autopilot: Ask yourself, “If I didn’t know how to do this, how would I do it?”
- How Blakely sorts household responsibilities with her entrepreneur husband Jesse Itzler: Rock, Paper, Scissors
Favorite Quote From This Episode:
“I have the most clarity when I’m driving in my car, so I factor in another 40 minutes before I have to be at the office and simply drive around Atlanta thinking.”
SUCCESS Talks, the popular audio program included in every issue of SUCCESS magazine, is now available as a podcast. SUCCESS Talks features fascinating interviews with prominent business, creative and thought leaders such as Tony Robbins, Anne Sweeney, Richard Branson, Tim Ferriss and Barbara Corcoran. SUCCESS Talks focuses on helping the listener nurture and develop their mind, body and spirit. Each month is thematically different and includes key takeaways designed to help you achieve your biggest goals and live your true passion.
Catch up on all episodes at SUCCESS.com/SUCCESSTalks.