SUBSCRIBE on iTunes, Stitcher or your favorite podcatcher app so you don’t miss an episode!
Best-selling author of Ego Is the Enemy, The Daily Stoic and The Obstacle Is the Way, Ryan Holiday discusses the dangers of ego with SUCCESS.com’s Shelby Skrhak. Unlike the Freudian definition, Holiday is referring to the colloquial definition. It’s the entitled voice in our head that’s resistant to feedback, rigid to change and averse to learning. Unlike confidence, Holiday argues, ego is stolen or manufactured. Confidence is earned. In this interview, Holiday shares his own difficult journey with ego, how to build a student mindset, and tips to combat ego in your life.
This interview appears on the SUCCESS Talks Collection, available in the December 2016 edition of SUCCESS magazine.
- When you’re scared to take a risk, imagine the worst outcome that could happen. Holiday says this is how to calm your mind from going on a rampage of fear-based thinking.
- Do you know the difference between confidence and egoism? Is your ego holding you back from achieving your goals? Learn how to manage your ego and find success.
- The most successful people in life know there is always room for improvement. The key, Holiday says, is to be a forever student. Are you always looking for ways to grow?
- Learn why surrounding yourself with people who are smarter than you will accelerate your growth and show your team that you care more about developing as a leader than protecting your ego.
- You shouldn’t be focused on how you will be remembered in the future. Your legacy should be focused on what you value right now.
Favorite quote from this episode: