Margie Warrell on Making Courage a Habit
Where does strength come from, and how do we muster it when we need it most? Margie Warrell, best-selling author and international authority on courage, likens it to building a muscle —achieved through deliberate and repetitive action. As she explains in her books, Find Your Courage, Stop Playing Safe, and Brave, we’re wired to be on alert for potential threats to our well-being, but being brave and courageous is taking action in the presence of our self-doubts and fears. SUCCESS.com’s Shelby Skrhak discuss Warrell’s six steps to close the gap between where we are and where we want to be. Plus, listen for Warrell’s newest courage-building adventure: conquering Mount Kilimanjaro with her husband and four children.
This interview appears on the SUCCESS Talks Collection October 2016 edition.
Six steps to push through our fear and take the next step toward our big goals:
- Connect with your goal to close the gap between where you are now and where you want to be.
- Picture yourself in 5-10 years having accomplished your goal. That vision is a great motivator to push past fear.
- Picture yourself a year from now as if you’ve done nothing toward your goal. Regret is also a powerful motivator.
- Break down your big goal into smaller pieces so you aren’t feeling overwhelmed by it. You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just the next step.
- Ask a friend or coach to keep you accountable and give them the task of checking up on you as you move toward your vision.
- Be conscious of your body’s subtle cues. Keep your posture tall and walk with authority. Keep a smile on your face and move with intention.
Favorite Quote From This Episode:
“Unless you have a clear sense of what you want your life to stand for, you will go down the path of least resistance. Knowing what you stand for is the foundation upon which bravery is built.” — Margie Warrell
SUCCESS Talks, the popular audio program included in every issue of SUCCESS magazine, is now available as a podcast. SUCCESS Talks features fascinating interviews with prominent business, creative and thought leaders such as Tony Robbins, Anne Sweeney, Richard Branson, Tim Ferriss and Barbara Corcoran. SUCCESS Talks focuses on helping the listener nurture and develop their mind, body and spirit. Each month is thematically different and includes key takeaways designed to help you achieve your biggest goals and live your true passion.