Kendra Scott on Building a Family Friendly Business
Fashion is a business where success is as fleeting as the newest fad. Yet, Kendra Scott, who started her jewelry business with $500 and a spare bedroom, has taken the industry by storm. SUCCESS staffer Paige Dungan sat down witih Scott to discuss how she keeps family and philanthropy at the center of her multimillion-dollar company.
This interview appears on the SUCCESS Talks Collection April 2016 edition.
- How Kendra Scott picked up the pieces of her first failed business and how it fueled her next success
- Scott’s solution to work-life balance? Build a company that puts family first. Here’s how you can do the same.
- Why 1,000 people call her Mama Kay and why that’s indicative of her company’s culture
- Where the designer draws inspiration so she can create new jewelry pieces season after season
- Why Kendra Scott stores have given away more than 50,000 pieces of jewelry
- Scott explains “Caught you in your Kendra” cards
Favorite Quote From This Episode:
“When I started Kendra Scott Jewelry out of the extra bedroom of my home, I decided early on that I would never say no. If someone called me and needed something for non-profit I would always have something to give. I could make a pair of earrings. I could make a necklace. What matters to our customers, matters to us.” — Kendra Scott
SUCCESS Talks, the popular audio program included in every issue of SUCCESS magazine, is now available as a podcast. SUCCESS Talks features fascinating interviews with prominent business, creative and thought leaders such as Tony Robbins, Anne Sweeney, Richard Branson, Tim Ferriss and Barbara Corcoran. SUCCESS Talks focuses on helping the listener nurture and develop their mind, body and spirit. Each month is thematically different and includes key takeaways designed to help you achieve your biggest goals and live your true passion.
Catch up on all episodes at SUCCESS.com/SUCCESSTalks.