On a typical Saturday nearly nine years ago, Joshua Becker spent most of the day cleaning out the garage. In that moment, it occurred to him that his possessions weren’t making him happy, but actually keeping him from experiences that do bring happiness. Becker and Ellis talk about why we purchase new and bigger things to find happiness, finding what really brings us joy and fulfillment and how to simplify our lives down to the basics.
SUBSCRIBE on iTunes, Stitcher or your favorite podcatcher app so you don’t miss an episode!
- Minimalism looks different for every person. What are some ways you could simplify your life?
- Becker says we need to stop expecting things to make us happy. Refocus your efforts on family, relationships and a healthy work-life balance. That’s where happiness lies.
- Living the minimalist lifestyle starts with being intentional about your posessions. Becker says he rid himself of nearly 70 percent of his belongings. They weren’t bringing him joy and he just didn’t need them.
Favorite quote from this episode:
“Does this item help me fulfill my purpose? If this thing helps me become who I want to be and do what I want to do, then this is an item that I should hold on to. Ultimately I think that, that we find our happiness in living out our purpose, uh whatever that might be.”
You might also like…
- 17 Beautifully Simple Quotes to Channel Your Inner Minimalist
- Can Tidying Up Your Home Fix Your Messy Life?
- The Key to Your Overall Happiness Is Simple
- Be Home for Dinner More Often & 7 Other Rules for a Good Life
SUCCESS Talks, the popular audio program included every month in SUCCESS magazine, is now available as a weekly podcast. We feature fascinating interviews with prominent business, creative and thought leaders such as Tony Robbins, Richard Branson, Tim Ferriss and Barbara Corcoran, and include key takeaways designed to help you put information into action.
Catch up on all individual episodes at SUCCESS.com/SUCCESSTalks or download the monthly SUCCESS Talks Collection with your magazine subscription.