Ep. 69: Why Being Socially Awkward Is Awesome
This week’s episode is sponsored by FreshBooks.
Join us this week as Josh and Shelby find out why being awkward isn’t as bad as we think it is in a discussion with Ty Tashiro, author of Awkward: The Science of Why We’re Socially Awkward and Why That’s Awesome. Shelby and Josh get personal and share what makes them awkward. And they share 10 things to remember to nail your next introduction.
- Tashiro says our quirky, unique character traits are on a bell curve. That’s good news. Some people might be socially fluent, but the average person is in some degree awkward.
- Tashiro shares three upsides to being awkward:
- “Awkward people are particularly enthusiastic and really passionate about the thing they love.”
- “Awkwardness shows an association with what psychologists call striking talent.”
- “Awkward people have a disposition that actually makes it a little bit easier for them to engage in that kind of deliberate practice.”
- Josh and Shelby talk about one of the most awkward types of conversation: small talk. They pull conversation tips from the SUCCESS.com article “Nice to Meet You, the Art of Being Introduced”:
- Consider the reputation of who is introducing you.
- Follow up quickly after the introduction.
- Aim for in-person introductions.
- Adapt your schedule to theirs.
- Prepare, prepare, prepare.
- State your purpose for the meeting.
- Show gratitude.
- Stay in touch.
- Make it a mutually beneficial relationship.
- Have some thoughts about the episode? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Favorite quote from this episode:
“I like to think of awkwardness as an ability, and shyness and introversion as more of a preference.”
You might also like…
- ‘Nice to Meet You’: The Art of Being Introduced
- 4 Tips to Be Less Awkward When You Speak
- 15 Tips to Get Better at Small Talk
- Survival Tips for Introverts
- FreshBooks is offering a 30-day, unrestricted free trial to our listeners. To claim it, just go to FreshBooks.com/insider and enter Success Insider in the “How Did You Hear About Us?” section.
SUCCESS Insider is a weekly podcast to engage, educate and inspire emerging leaders and success seekers.
Every week, SUCCESS.com’s Shelby Skrhak and SUCCESS magazine’s Josh Ellis will discuss the latest trends in personal empowerment, entrepreneurship and career development. We’ll dig into books, ideas and news you’ll want to know about. We’ll chat with special guests, including authors, industry experts, business leaders, trendsetters on our staff and other all-around successful people. And we’ll have a lot of fun doing it. Join us!
Find complete SUCCESS Insider archives at SUCCESS.com/successinsider.
Find more SUCCESS podcasts at SUCCESS.com/podcasts.