Ep. 65: Survival Tips for Introverts
It’s an extrovert’s world out there, but that doesn’t mean introverts can’t thrive. Josh and Shelby discuss their introvert personality traits and how hosting this podcast has helped them. Shelby catches Chris Brogan for a quick chat about how introverts can promote themselves as a brand via social media without it making them uncomfortable. And we share five tips for introverts to survive in an extrovert office.
Brogan shares tips for balancing the need for connectivity with an introverted personality:
For speaking engagements
- Speakers usually get lots of attention. Find some quiet time away from everything to recharge.
- Ask questions when you’re feeling introverted. It turns the topic of conversation away from you.
For content creators
- Opt for less personal information sharing. If you don’t want to share photos of your kids on Instagram, post your meals or your hobbies.
Josh and Shelby share five tips for introverts in an extroverted office, straight from SUCCESS.com:
- Offer to host meals.
- Join a speaker’s group.
- Be ready for confrontations—always have response.
- Establish a workflow process with co-workers.
- Schedule “internal thinking hours” into your day.
Plus three extras work/life tips:
- When you really need to focus, use headphones.
- Find a quiet spot in the office.
- Know yourself. Introversion isn’t a negative trait, but life requires some extroversion. To access that side of yourself, find the methods and times that best fit your personality.
Favorite quote from this episode:
“If you weren’t familiar with some of the characteristics of introverts vs. extroverts, you may actually think, There’s something wrong with me, I’m antisocial.… I used to think, Why can’t I think on my feet like this person? It’s just that I think differently. I need that time by myself to think of it before I can volley back and forth.”
You might also like…
- The Introvert’s Guide to Getting Hired
- Introverted? Use These Tips to Rock Networking
- 5 Tips for Introverts to Survive in an Office of Extroverts
- FreshBooks is offering a 30-day, unrestricted free trial to our listeners. To claim it, just go to FreshBooks.com/insider and enter Success Insider in the “How Did You Hear About Us?” section.
- Thanks to altMBA for sponsoring SUCCESS Insider. altMBA is now accepting applications. To find out more, visit altmba.com/successinsider. For special consideration, mention this podcast in your application and tell them SUCCESS sent you!
SUCCESS Insider is a weekly podcast to engage, educate and inspire emerging leaders and success seekers.
Every week, SUCCESS.com’s Shelby Skrhak and SUCCESS magazine’s Josh Ellis will discuss the latest trends in personal empowerment, entrepreneurship and career development. We’ll dig into books, ideas and news you’ll want to know about. We’ll chat with special guests, including authors, industry experts, business leaders, trendsetters on our staff and other all-around successful people. And we’ll have a lot of fun doing it. Join us!
Find complete SUCCESS Insider archives at SUCCESS.com/successinsider.
Find more SUCCESS podcasts at SUCCESS.com/podcasts.