Ep. 36: All in the Family
This week Josh and Shelby prepare for the upcoming hustle and bustle of the holiday season and the family that comes with it. They talk about the new issue of SUCCESS magazine featuring the late UCLA coach John Wooden and discuss their favorite articles from it.
SUCCESS editor Jamie Friedlander joins the conversation to discuss her article Power Parenting. And we share some tips from happiness expert Gretchen Rubin on dealing with difficult relatives.
- Definition of positive psychology: The study of subjective well-being and focusing on ways that you can improve your own happiness.
- How to apply positive psychology, specifically strengths-based parenting, into your own parenting style
- Instead of focusing on what your child’s bad at, focus on fostering what they’re good at
- “Sometimes when people are so focused on the academics they forget the importance of things like bravery, and teamwork, and communication,” says Jamie Friedlander, who wrote “Power Parenting” for this month’s issue of SUCCESS.
- 9 uncommon strengths to encourage in your children:
- Social intelligence
- Why you should let your child fail, according to the authors of Becoming Brilliant
- How to encourage happiness in those around us, according to happiness researcher Shawn Achor
- Old mindset: “If I work harder, I’ll be more successful and happier.” New mindset we should adopt: “If I’m happy, I’ll work harder and then be more successful.”
- Tips for dealing with difficult relatives during the holidays:
- Take a few minutes ahead of time to think how you want to behave. Focus on what you do and don’t worry about others.
- Realize that topics that seem innocuous to you might upset someone else, such as getting married or starting a family.
- Don’t drink too much alcohol. Moderation is key.
Favorite Quote From This Episode:
“If you tell your child they’re good at everything, then they’re really not going to find what they’re actually good at and they’ll have this false sense of pride.”
You might also like:
- 6 Ways to Be a Better Parent
- How to Make Sure Your Children Become More Successful Than You
- 7 Entrepreneurial Traits to Teach Your Child
SUCCESS Insider is a weekly podcast to engage, educate and inspire emerging leaders and success seekers.
Every week, SUCCESS.com’s Shelby Skrhak and SUCCESS magazine’s Josh Ellis will discuss the latest trends in personal empowerment, entrepreneurship and career development. We’ll dig into books, ideas and news you’ll want to know about. We’ll chat with special guests, including authors, industry experts, business leaders, trendsetters on our staff and other all-around successful people. And we’ll have a lot of fun doing it. Join us!
Find complete SUCCESS Insider archives at SUCCESS.com/successinsider.
Find more SUCCESS podcasts at SUCCESS.com/podcasts.