How to make a decision is the topic of this week’s episode where Josh and Shelby discuss the November cover of SUCCESS magazine featuring Fox News Channel’s Megyn Kelly and share a clip from this month’s SUCCESS Talks interview about finding your “zone of genius.”
“Most of us spend our lives operating in our zone of excellence,” Megyn says. “That can be quite soul killing in a way because it keeps us in jobs that we’re good at, but that might not make us happy. It isn’t until you get into your zone of genius, where your top skill matches your passion, that you’re firing on the same cylinder as the thing that you want to do the most.”
Our hosts test the theory of automating small decisions to make head room for big decisions and share Zig Ziglar’s tips for making a good decision.
This episode is sponsored by the Small Business Revolution, championed by Deluxe.
- The difference between your zone of excellence, where your skills lie, and your zone of genius, where your top skill matches your passion.
- Clues to recognize which zone you’re operating in
- When you’ve got too much information, here’s how to avoid going off the deep end in decision making.
- What happens when you automate small decisions to free up mental energy for larger decisions
- 4 ways to automate your life and make less decisions daily
- Create a wardrobe uniform
- Have a place for everything
- Auto-ship products you routinely buy
- Turn no-brainer decisions into habits
- Readers Maura Colaizzo, Anu Sharma, Patrick Allmond, Alex Barker, Lina Pentheroudaki and Mark Prodoehl share the best decision they ever made
- Zig Ziglar’s 5 ways to make a good decision
- Sleep on it
- Take time
- Weigh the pros and cons
- Seek advice
Favorite quote from this episode:
“Even though you might be very good at your job, do you feel passionate about it? And if you don’t, you’re probably not in your zone of genius.”
You might also like:
- What I Learned From Wearing the Same Outfit for 2 Weeks
- John Addison: 4 Keys to Great Decision-Making
- Megyn Kelly on Finding Your Zone of Genius
About the Sponsor: The Small Business Revolution on Main Street is an original online series that captures what happened when Deluxe gave one small town and its small businesses a $500,000 transformation. See how Wabash, Indiana comes back to life in the series streaming now at smallbusinessrevolution.org.
SUCCESS Insider is a weekly podcast to engage, educate and inspire emerging leaders and success seekers.
Every week, SUCCESS.com’s Shelby Skrhak and SUCCESS magazine’s Josh Ellis will discuss the latest trends in personal empowerment, entrepreneurship and career development. We’ll dig into books, ideas and news you’ll want to know about. We’ll chat with special guests, including authors, industry experts, business leaders, trendsetters on our staff and other all-around successful people. And we’ll have a lot of fun doing it. Join us!
Find complete SUCCESS Insider archives at SUCCESS.com/successinsider.
Find more SUCCESS podcasts at SUCCESS.com/podcasts.