Is there such a thing as good procrastination? Josh and Shelby answer that very question on today’s episode. We hear from Originals author Adam Grant about productive procrastination and we give you some quick tips to combat your tendency to put things off until the last minute.
- What a pair of J.Crew flats taught Shelby about the lure of instant gratification.
- A parable about procrastination: Why the “panic monster” is the procrastinator’s guardian angel, waking up when a deadline is near, says Tim Urban.
- Shelby and Josh reminisce about writing college papers the night before a deadline and describe opposing habits when it comes to handling emails.
- Sometimes procrastinators are more creative than those who dive in early. Adam Grant uses Leonardo da Vinci as an example of someone whose procrastination led him to discover new interests that improved his paintings.
- A fear of incompetence or failure can keep people from tackling timely projects. Shelby and Josh give tips for combating procrastination, starting with keeping track of when and why you do it.
- Want more inspiring ideas to make your life better? Enter our SUCCESS Insider giveaway for free access to a SUCCESS Academy course, Jim Rohn Foundations for Success. This course features Tony Robbins, John C. Maxwell, Les Brown and others sharing the lessons that the late personal development legend Jim Rohn taught them. All you have do is email a screenshot of your rating or review of SUCCESS Insider to firstname.lastname@example.org. See contest details below.
Favorite quote from this episode:
“We don’t have to rush to get an idea developed. There’s something to be said for waiting for the right time.”
You Might Also Like…
- The 3 Types of Procrastination and How to Beat It
- Are You an Original?
- The Mel Robbins Guide to Screwing Up
SUCCESS Insider is a weekly podcast to engage, educate and inspire emerging leaders and success seekers.
Every week, SUCCESS.com’s Shelby Skrhak and SUCCESS magazine’s Josh Ellis will discuss the latest trends in personal empowerment, entrepreneurship and career development. We’ll dig into books, ideas and news you’ll want to know about. We’ll chat with special guests, including authors, industry experts, business leaders, trendsetters on our staff and other all-around successful people. And we’ll have a lot of fun doing it. Join us!
Catch up on all episodes at SUCCESS.com/podcasts.
SUCCESS INSIDER GIVEAWAY RULES
When to enter:
SUCCESS magazine’s SUCCESS Insider giveaway begins July 12, 2016, and ends July 26, 2016, at 11:59 p.m. Central Time (CT). By submitting an entry, each contestant agrees to the following rules of the contest and states that they are 18 years old or older.
Who may enter:
Contestants must be eighteen (18) years old or older. Individuals affiliated with SUCCESS magazine, SUCCESS Partners or any of its affiliates—employees, interns, contractors, and their immediate families (children, siblings and spouses) and others living in their households—are not eligible to enter the contest. SUCCESS magazine at its sole discretion will determine contestants’ eligibility.
How to enter:
Contestants may enter by submitting a snapshot of their rating for review of the SUCCESS Insider podcast in iTunes or other platform to email@example.com. By entering the contest, entrants grant SUCCESS a royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual, nonexclusive license to display, distribute, reproduce and create derivative works of their submissions, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or subsequently developed, for any educational, promotional, publicity, exhibition, archival, and all other standard SUCCESS purposes. SUCCESS will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such uses. No purchase is required to enter the contest.
Ten (10) winner(s) will be chosen at sole discretion random between July 27 and August 2 by the editorial staff of SUCCESS magazine. Winners will be notified via email between August 2 and August 12. The winners will receive free access to the SUCCESS Academy online course titled Jim Rohn Foundations for Success.
Jim Rohn Foundations for Success (online course), a $495 value