Brad Stulberg on Achieving Peak Performance
This episode is sponsored by Sanebox.
Everyone has good and bad days—days we can’t focus and days that fly by with productivity. Brad Stulberg, co-author of Peak Performance: Elevate Your Game, Avoid Burnout, and Thrive with a New Science of Success, is teaching people how to operate at their peak every day. In this science-packed interview, SUCCESS.com’s Shelby Skrhak and Stulberg use examples from sports to define peak performance and how to achieve it.
SUBSCRIBE on iTunes, Stitcher or your favorite podcatcher app so you don’t miss an episode!
- Stulberg stresses the importance of occasionally powering down: “Our brains store, consolidate, connect information not when we’re sitting at the computer working, but rather when we’re resting… We’re most likely to have a creative thought or an ‘aha’ moment of insight, not when we’re deep in the work but when we step away from the work.”
- Stulberg shares a few tips for staying at the top of your game:
- Find the best way to rest. Athletes might need cognitive engagement, but psychologically-demanding tasks might call for exercise.
- Work during your peak performance hours.
- During off-peak hours, rest your mind.
- Take control of your day with a routine that works for you.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Plus, he shares two more unconventional ideas for peak performance:
- Deep breaths don’t always work. Try using excitement to channel anxious energy.
- Stress plus rest leads to growth. Embrace a stress-rest cycle by challenging yourself and then stepping away to recover.
Favorite quote from this episode:
“Often creative breakthroughs…solving problems that are very tricky to solve, they don’t occur thanks to that conscious effortful mind. It’s only when the subconscious mind has the chance to kind of come online that we have those breakthrough insights.”
You might also like…
- 6 Success Habits of High Performers
- Surprising Secrets to Boost Productivity
- 3 Popular Productivity Tips That Are Actually Wasting Your Time
- Brendon Burchard’s High Performance Habits
- Thanks to Sanebox for sponsoring this episode. Click here to find out how Sanbox can help your productivity and receive an automatic $20 credit to your account in addition to the 14-day free trial.
SUCCESS Talks, the popular audio program included every month in SUCCESS magazine, is now available as a weekly podcast. We feature fascinating interviews with prominent business, creative and thought leaders such as Tony Robbins, Richard Branson, Tim Ferriss and Barbara Corcoran, and include key takeaways designed to help you put information into action.
Catch up on all individual episodes at SUCCESS.com/SUCCESSTalks or download the monthly SUCCESS Talks Collection with your magazine subscription.