Bishop T.D. Jakes on Going Against the Odds
This episode is sponsored by altMBA.
Exposed to entrepreneurship as a child, Bishop T.D. Jakes didn’t know he wanted to be a preacher, but he always knew he would forge his own path. Now the founder of the Potter’s House church in Dallas, “America’s Best Preacher” is transforming the lives of thousands across the globe. In this interview with SUCCESS Editor-in-Chief Josh Ellis, Jakes touches on self-belief through difficult times, effectiveness and raising the standards of a “good life.”
SUBSCRIBE on iTunes, Stitcher or your favorite podcatcher app so you don’t miss an episode!
- Our childhood is a large shaper of our future. Learn how Jakes, who watched his parents work day and night to support him, was inspired to push for more.
- Don’t become an entrepreneur for the income, Jakes says. Most businesses don’t turn a profit for several years, but it’s more than that. Learn why passion is a much larger indicator of success.
- Believing in yourself is never easy. Jakes had to push past people who doubted his ability to succeed. Hear his techniques for taking charge of your future and pushing past those who expect less of you.
Favorite quote from this episode:
“We get messed up when we think of destiny in terms of destination. I have learned over the years that if you fall in love with the journey, the destination is inevitable. Fall in love with not being there, the process, the problems, the staircase, not the landing.”
—Bishop T.D. Jakes
You might also like…
- Success Is a Journey, Not a Destination
- 5 Ways to Make Sure Self-Sabotaging Beliefs Don’t Wreck Your Success
- 3 Ways to Boost Your Confidence When Nobody Else Believes in You
- Thanks to altMBA for sponsoring SUCCESS Talks. altMBA is now accepting applications. To find out more, visit altmba.com/successtalks. For special consideration, mention this podcast in your application and tell them SUCCESS sent you!
SUCCESS Talks, the popular audio program included every month in SUCCESS magazine, is now available as a weekly podcast. We feature fascinating interviews with prominent business, creative and thought leaders such as Tony Robbins, Richard Branson, Tim Ferriss and Barbara Corcoran, and include key takeaways designed to help you put information into action.
Catch up on all individual episodes at SUCCESS.com/SUCCESSTalks or download the monthly SUCCESS Talks Collection with your magazine subscription.