19 Wise Money Quotes
Money can be a pretty sweet deal; it can provide you with an exciting lifestyle, glorious things, sometimes a little happiness. The catch? Sometimes there isn’t enough money to go around—and it can only buy you happiness to a certain extent.
And since there are no trees growing free cash, no dollar bills raining from the sky into our purses and wallets, most of us live in a world of budgets. But, the good thing is, when you take control of your money, you take control of your life, too.
Related: 5 Money Principles You Need to Know
Here are 19 quotes to inspire you to really appreciate your hard-earned money.
1. “Never spend your money before you have earned it.” —Thomas Jefferson
2. “It’s good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it’s good, too, to check up once in a while and make sure that you haven’t lost the things that money can’t buy.” —George Lorimer
3. “There is a gigantic difference between earning a great deal of money and being rich.” —Marlene Dietrich
4. “Money is usually attracted, not pursued.” —Jim Rohn
5. “If we command our wealth, we shall be rich and free. If our wealth commands us, we are poor indeed.” —Edmund Burke
6. “A simple fact that is hard to learn is that the time to save money is when you have some.” —Joe Moore
7. “Don’t tell me where your priorities are. Show me where you spend your money and I’ll tell you what they are.” —James W. Frick
8. “If you would be wealthy, think of saving as well as getting.” —Benjamin Franklin
9. “Many folks think they aren’t good at earning money, when what they don’t know is how to use it.” —Frank A. Clark
10. “Many people take no care of their money till they come nearly to the end of it, and others do just the same with their time.” —Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
11. “Money is only a tool. It will take you wherever you wish, but it will not replace you as the driver.” —Ayn Rand
12. “Money is a terrible master but an excellent servant.” —P.T. Barnum
13. “You must gain control over your money or the lack of it will forever control you.” —Dave Ramsey
14. “It’s not how much money you make, but how much money you keep, how hard it works for you, and how many generations you keep it for.” —Robert Kiyosaki
15. “The habit of saving is itself an education; it fosters every virtue, teaches self-denial, cultivates the sense of order, trains to forethought, and so broadens the mind.” —T.T. Munger
16. “A wise person should have money in their head, but not in their heart.” —Jonathan Swift
17. “Money is multiplied in practical value depending on the number of W’s you control in your life: what you do, when you do it, where you do it, and with whom you do it.” —Timothy Ferriss
18. “The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers
19. “Money is a guarantee that we may have what we want in the future. Though we need nothing at the moment it insures the possibility of satisfying a new desire when it arises.” —Aristotle