- Personal Development
- Entrepreneurial Toolkit
- The Store
No one likes to spend the day in an unpleasant environment. But beyond giving everyone a room with a view, what can you do to make your team members have more enjoyable and productive workdays?
A September 2011 survey by Staples shows that employee wish lists include new furniture and upgraded technology. But there are other less-tangible complaints that might not require additional funding to remedy:
- 44 percent wished for less office politics.
- 41 percent wanted the opportunity to telecommute.
- 37 percent said they needed upgraded office technology.
- 35 percent wished for nicer or more comfortable office furniture.
- 34 percent wanted more flexible work hours.
- 34 percent also dreamed of more private work areas.
Surprisingly, more than half of office workers admit to leaving at least once a day for snacks or coffee, with some leaving as many as five times a day. Far from superfluous, a well-stocked break room might help raise the bottom line. Coffee and snack runs account for a total of 2.4 billion hours in lost productivity nationally each year.