Marissa Mayer Is the Classic Overachiever
Marissa Mayer, 37, is accomplished in many areas, from data-crunching to artificial intelligence to ballet (dancing The Nutcracker in college). She’s an inventor, with many interface design and artificial intelligence patents bearing her name. She’s also a patron of the arts and stays physically fit. Want to know more about this fascinating woman who’s No. 3 on Fortune’s 40 Under 40 list of corporate power players and nominee for SUCCESS’s 2012 Achiever of the Year? Well, then, Mayer:
1. Sleeps only about four hours a night.
2. Was Google’s 20th employee.
3. Is an avid marathon runner and cross-country skier.
4. Has a seat on the boards of Wal-Mart, the San Francisco Ballet, the New York City Ballet and the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.
5. Gives lavish parties in her $5 million penthouse atop the Four Seasons Hotel in San Francisco.
6. Also owns a Craftsman home in Palo Alto, Calif.
7. Was one of 20 female CEOs of Fortune 500 companies when she joined Yahoo.
8. Will probably enact this Google philosophy at Yahoo: Launch products regularly, fix them or reinvent them later. “When you make a mistake, you just iterate your way out of it or you reinvent yourself,” she has said.
9. Paid $60,000 at an auction to have lunch with Oscar de la Renta.
10. Climbed Mount Kilimanjaro.
Her friend Dylan Casey (a former professional cyclist and former co-worker at Google) says, “She will outwork you; she will outwork anybody.”
In response to her Yahoo move, Chris Dixon, a high-profile Silicon Valley investor said: “Marissa Mayer is one of a few people who has enough gravitas to ignore public markets for a while and do what’s long-term best for Yahoo.”
From Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt: “I worked with Marissa for many years—she’s a great product person, very innovative and a real perfectionist who always wants the best for users. Yahoo has made a good choice, and I am personally very excited to see another woman become CEO of a technology company.”
Marissa Mayer is one of five nominees for SUCCESS magazine's annual Achiever of the Year. Read who was selected as 2012 Achiever of the Year on SUCCESS.com.
and get SUCCESS delivered
to your door each month!